Translate

Monday, February 5, 2018

(Be A Heart Seeker) - Free Indeed - Abundant Living After Abuse




February 5

It is my personal experience and working with high-risk youths as a counselor that we survivors of childhood abuses (i.e. molestation, rape, physical and etc.) tend to seek happiness in some of the worst of places to fill the empty void we feel in our hearts. Seeking for love in all the wrong places leaves us broken and disheartened. We search for true love only be deceived time and time again. We question why we keep doing the same thing over and over again and the answer seems to elude us. Is there such a thing as true love? Yes! There is such a thing as true love and it is out there. I was speaking to one of my young clients Lila about true love. You see she had been a victim of rape, molestation and neglect throughout her childhood and her teen years.  Lila asked me how can anyone can find true love because everyone she has dated have been great at first and then ended up being just like her abusers.

Well, I explained to her that if we are surrounded by the wrong types of affections as children and distorted love, then we will look for the very same thing subconsciously because that is the norm for the abused. Sometimes the abused does not know what it is to be in a healthy relationship because they have never been one. Not always the case but usually the young ladies that I have counseled over the last 15 years, and most of these girls seem to lean toward finding someone whom they think is not like their previous abuser but in time these men begin to slowly show their true colors. I am not male bashing here, I am showing that there are people out there that represent something that they are not because they know how to manipulate others.

In time, these young girls who vowed to themselves that they will never be with an abusive man find themselves in abusive relationships. Why? They were looking for love in all the wrong places. Great news! When victims begin to heal, they will know how valuable themselves  and will know how to protect themselves but first, one has to move from victim to survivor.

When victims of abuse move into the next phase in the lifespan of a person in this case into survivor phase one must remember that there is no timeline specific between both phases. It can take some a couple of years or more to move between phases. What is vital during the two phases however is that to become a true survivor depends whether or not forgiveness has taken place. There are many quasi-survivors who merely exist and live half-lives because they are full of bitterness, anger and strife and they cannot forgive those who hurt them. Becoming a true survivor should reflect how we think, act and live and one can find true healing by seeking His heart through our heart. The Bible says “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 

When I sought Jesus with all my heart, he gave me comfort, he cleansed me from all unrighteousness and he taught me to forgive. He freed me from my past as the Bible states “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed” John 8:36 and I have been free from my past.

If you are looking for love in what may seem in the wrong places, seek no further in others but be a heart seeker and seek Jesus, find Jesus and search for Him with all your heart and you will find him while he may be found. It does not matter what path you have taken, it is never too late to come to Jesus. Friend, because of so much abuse in my childhood I hated Christ so much at one point I totally rebelled, but when I desired to heal I sought Jesus and he healed my mind and he pardoned me “seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6-7

Friend! Stop looking for someone to heal your heart in all the wrong places. Seek Jesus today, find him and search with all your heart! It is the best decision you can make for your life. 

Names have been changed to protect clients. 

No comments:

FAITH- Was The Apostle Paul Bi-Polar?

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen”. Hebrews 1:1 In a world with so many uncerta...